Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I turn an imported object into a Boolean to Subtract?

I have a couple of 3d models that I created. I imported them via the Derived pass so they can all be a part of the same part studio.
I want to use these objects that I imported and then from there use a Boolean Subtract pass so I can cut into one of the objects. Every time I try to get it to work, the main object just disappears.
Any advice on how to get this working properly?

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Hard to tell without seeing you document but I would assume it's something to do with the way you use the boolean feature, make sure you are using the right type of operation and make sure it only removes part of the solid.
  • steven_oloyasteven_oloya Member Posts: 4
    Hard to tell without seeing you document but I would assume it's something to do with the way you use the boolean feature, make sure you are using the right type of operation and make sure it only removes part of the solid.
    So here's my Boolean Plus layer:

Here is also a snapshot of the document:

Basically it's a stand and on the bottom I want to subtract part of the bottom with this decal that I created. If I check "Keep Tools" the stand will appear but the subtraction into the object won't show up. If I uncheck "Keep Tools" then both the decal and also the stand is gone.

Please let me know if there's any more information I could provide that can help solve this issue :)
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    If I’m understanding you correctly, it looks like you have the tools and targets reversed.