Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Reconstruction of Roman bowl GIMP to Onshape, STL to Ultimaker Cura errors

Total newbie - I need Cura for a Roman pottery project. (I haven't come straight here - I have looked at trying to resolve it myself). I have this Roman first century bowl, a complete profile, and wanted to reconstruct the rest with 3D printing. I measured the pot, drew it in GIMP, imported the image to Onshape, traced over it, thickened and rotated it, saved as an STL. The import process to Cura failed ("The highlighted areas indicate either missing or extraneous surfaces. Fix your model and open it again in Cura." An ideas? And is there any way to show an STL file here

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Maybe skip gimp and just make it in Onshape? Not sure what your exact issue is, but the image of Cura looks like it's paper thin, which probably isn't the intent. You might also try just revolving a surface and using Thicken after that.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Maybe skip gimp and just make it in Onshape? Not sure what your exact issue is, but the image of Cura looks like it's paper thin, which probably isn't the intent. You might also try just revolving a surface and using Thicken after that.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl