Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Default Units

Hello Onshape and G'day from Australia, I often start a new document with a simple shape and as soon as I try to dimension it realize I'm in the wrong units. I almost never use inches or pounds and would like to not use imperial units as a default. I wonder if you could add a "choose default" setting for units that will carry across all documents when they are created. A simple "metric' or "imperial" button would be very nice. That option may even already be there, and I just haven't found it. Don't know if others want this - its really not a great problem just a minor irritation to an otherwise very smooth program. Excellent work, can't praise you guys enough. brian medlock.

Best Answer

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @brian_medlock: the forum software will keep pestering you until you flag a question as answered.
    It does not permit you to flag your own answer to your own question (even though it's correct)
    so feel free to flag this post as if it were an answer, if you wish, otherwise the question will forever remain open.

Answers

• Options
    brian_medlockbrian_medlock Member Posts: 6
    Oops, how embarrassing, its already there...

Set default units for all documents you create
    1. Expand the menu under your name (User menu) and select Manage account:
    2. Select Preferences and make the appropriate selections.
    3. Click Save changes.
    Click the Onshape logo at the top of the page to return to the Documents page.

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @brian_medlock: the forum software will keep pestering you until you flag a question as answered.
    It does not permit you to flag your own answer to your own question (even though it's correct)
    so feel free to flag this post as if it were an answer, if you wish, otherwise the question will forever remain open.