Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create a connection to clip two haves of a shell together

Hello, i have a drawing that it looks like i will have to split in half to print out, does anyone have any experience with creating a clipping system to be able to connect the two halves once they are printed? Thank you

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    Hello Jonathan. Please post a link to the document you are working on. If you have not yet started a document then post an image of the part you want to print. - Scotty
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    This sounds like more of a design question than an Onshape question, in which case I'll bet there are 101 ways to do it on Youtube. Depending on what you're doing (say it's a figurine or something), a simple way might be to just add aligned holes on both parts and snip some little pieces of a straight wire to insert into them so the parts align while you glue them up. The nice thing here is you can print with the hole side down for a pretty clean look.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    That sounds a bit like something I was just researching - the deisgn of "snap joints".  There's quite a bit of info on the web:

https://www.google.com/search?q="snap+joints"&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS999US999&oq="snap+joints"&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512j0i22i30l8.5504j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I haven't attempted the design yet, so can't offer any proactical input.

• Options
    jonathan_agudelojonathan_agudelo Member Posts: 4
    Hey Robert,

I have attached a photo. This piece is 1mm thick shell, which I want to thicken but am having trouble to. But for now what I’m wanting is to connect these two halves together in a clipping formation. Like you clip it once and not really designed to pull apart again. I hope this explains what I’m after. I have a pic of the complete piece with the split in the middle then a close of a halve where I’m wanting some sort of ridge line that clips into the other half. 
  • Options
    jonathan_agudelojonathan_agudelo Member Posts: 4
    Evan, yeah id say its more of a design thing... but it would be cool if onshape had a function that designed one automatically. automatic snap joint