Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - November 6th, 2023

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 34
edited November 2023 in New in Onshape
It's already November! We may be nearing the end of the year, but there's no end in sight for meaningful Onshape updates! Let's jump right in.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

SPECIFY FOLDER ON CREATE

You can now directly create a document or folder anywhere within your Onshape folder structure, without having to navigate into the folder first.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bfs14tpxk2

EXPORT OPTION FROM PRODUCT LIST VIEW

You will now find the option to export directly from a right-click within the List view

SECTION VIEW FACE MEASUREMENT

You can now measure the cut-face of a Section view from the Measure tool.

PART STUDIOS

DEFINE PLANE BY TANGENT

A new Tangent definition option has been added to the Plane feature.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fh178ste4s

SHEET METAL - BEND DEDUCTION AND BEND ALLOWANCE

You may now define sheet metal bends using a Bend Allowance or a Bend Deduction in the Sheet metal model feature, and edit their values in the Sheet metal table.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/7am963iw18

Note: Bend Allowance or Deduction is not applicable for Hem features at this time.

MOVE ROLLBACK - KEYBOARD SHORTCUT

You can now move the Rollback bar using the arrow keys on your keyboard. This makes it easy to step through a part to understand how it was built.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/vg5qo95dgq

NEW KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS FOR SKETCH CONSTRAINTS

Several new keyboard shortcuts have been added for sketch constraints which previously did not have any assigned. Please expand below for the full listing.

Concentric -  shift+o
Perpendicular - shift+l
Midpoint - shift+m
Normal - shift+k
Pierce - shift+g
Symmetric - shift+q
Fix - shift+j
Curvature - shift+u

ASSEMBLY IMPROVEMENTS

EXPAND OR COLLAPSE ALL NODES IN INSTANCE LIST

You may now expand or collapse all Assembly nodes, from a right-click of the top level Assembly line item in the Assembly Instances list.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

INSPECTION TABLE CUSTOMIZATION

You can now customize which property columns are shown on a Drawing Inspection table.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/allfyvwhxw

HATCH NON-PLANAR FACES

You may now add hatch to non-planar regions in Onshape Drawings.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

ANALYTICS - COUNT OF PENDING RELEASES IN RELEASE ACTIVITY

The Release Activity dashboard now also shows Pending Releases, in addition to Approved, Rejected and Obsoleted.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

COURSE UPDATE - NAVIGATING ONSHAPE

Navigating Onshape has been updated to focus on the core features of the Onshape user interface, while including new interactive content. Learn how to navigate and organize your documents, and set key preferences to enhance your Onshape experience.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 216 PRO
    S1mon said:
    Is it wrong that I'm most excited by the keyboard shortcuts for all constraints, roll forward/back and the expand/collapse all? 

I could really use an expand/collapse all for the feature tree.
    Not wrong at all!  I have wanted a symmetric keyboard shortcut forever!
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Good round of updates. Nice to see it was ready for my birthday. >:)
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,523 PRO
    S1mon said:
    Is it wrong that I'm most excited by the keyboard shortcuts for all constraints, roll forward/back and the expand/collapse all? 

I could really use an expand/collapse all for the feature tree.
    Not sure about the default assignments but that can be fixed... I'll definitely be using some of these!

Exporting from the list view seems like a useful option, unfortunate that you can't select multiple items at once (yet?) as that's the first thing I tried!

I can already here the complaints about not having the moment of inertial calculation in the new section measure (so close...)!

Found this in the changelog: "Allow reattaching failed centermarks in Drawings", definitely will be using this...
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    More Keyboard shortcuts and Section Measureing!!! Absolute WIN!!!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Good stuff !!
    //rami
  • Options
    Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    Great Stuff. I like the expand and collapse of all nodes in the instance list.
  • Options
    JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Keyboard shortcuts for all constraints? Wow, awesome! Now I can finally use custom shortcuts to change them for left hand use only. 

Relinking broken centermarks is also great improvement, thanks for this one. Will be much easier to repair broken drawing after replacing model.
  • Options
    svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 65 PRO
    !Making documents and folders hap-hazardly without a plan can lead into serious problem
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 814 PRO
    I like the export option from the list view.  Would be nice to also get that option from search results. I think exporting is often done by light cad users and I somehow feel like the list view is overly involved for these type of users.  Most people are very familiar with just typing into a search, seeing what they want and them simply being able to export that thing they want.  Measuring form sectioned planes is a big win!
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Great improvements! My favourites are the tangent plane and the specified folders.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    Nice updates

I've been waiting a long time for Expand/Collapse all on the assembly tree!

I'm always happy to see more keyboard shortcuts!

Rollback bar with the arrow keys is going to be very helpful
    So will tangent plane creation
  • Options
    parviz_aghayarov072parviz_aghayarov072 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    plane by tangent useful addition  for me)
  • Options
    STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 77 PRO
    Spécification du dossier à la création d'un document, mesure sur une vue de coupe et création d'un plan tangeant sont définitievement mes améliorations préférées!

J'ai remarqué dans le "Changelog" qu'on peut désormais ré-attacher des marques de centre sur un dessin... Bravo!

Beau travail Onshape! 👍
  • Options
    Nick_HolzemNick_Holzem Member Posts: 61 PRO
    New keyboard shortcuts for all sketch constraints 
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,723 PRO
    edited November 2023

Quality improvements team! Thanks! I especially like the shortcuts and roll bar update.

Tangent plane, awesome! B)

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    PSR_NathPSR_Nath Member Posts: 3
    Great stuff, Linking the shortcuts for assemblies. 
  • Options
    danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 36 PRO
    Love the improvements. The cross section area, the moving the roll back bar with the arrow keys, and collapsing the areas. Great work.
  • Options
    kenton_fosterkenton_foster Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Great improvements! 
  • Options
    aleksei_volynskovaleksei_volynskov Member Posts: 2
    I don't see "Tangent" in the plane creation drop-down.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,412
    I don't see "Tangent" in the plane creation drop-down.
    Please see the last sentence of the OP.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    Have you noticed? The color blue is slowly leaving Onshape.. is this because black will be the new blue...? Any guesses?

john_mcclary put me down for BINGO if they add a dark mode ;)

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    I'm kind of surprised they didn't make the button PTC green...
  • Options
    Mark_LugowskiMark_Lugowski Member Posts: 3
    Tangent planes and customizable inspection tables!
  • Options
    john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Export from List View is great for Light Users, who now don't need to be trained how to open and understand Release Candidates to get what they need for Latest Revision data. 

Tangent Plane is great, and the Inspection Table improvements mean we can have the 2 or 3 layouts we need for First Article and routine inspection paperwork ready to roll. Inspection Items are now mature enough for us to properly implement.

Thanks Onshape!

• Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Awesome update! Really happy to see the tangent plane option being a native feature now. However, I noticed that it doesn't support selection to faces created in features such as loft like the tangent plane FeatureScript that Lou Gallo created (FeatureScript Tangent plane | Tangent plane instruction.pdf (onshape.com)). Will this be added at some point?
  • Options
    antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 15 PRO
    Tangent plane creation and section view face measurement will be quite helpful in my workflows, thank you!
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Awesome improvements this time! Thank you!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter