Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"bulk" change appearance of parts in assembly

stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 119 PRO
edited November 2023 in Community Support
Is there a quick way to change appearance of parts in an assembly? (eg by box selecting - right click) 
Now I have to go into each individual part to reset the appearance. 

Best Answer

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓

I don't know of a way for mass selections. However you can change their appearances individually:
    • Open up the BOM panel on the right side of the screen. 
    • From there, add the "Appearance" as a column. 
    • Now you should be able to change the appearances directly from the BOM.

Alternatively, you could set the color in a variable studio, then use that color to drive each part color. This would allow you to change them all at once.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓

I don't know of a way for mass selections. However you can change their appearances individually:
    • Open up the BOM panel on the right side of the screen. 
    • From there, add the "Appearance" as a column. 
    • Now you should be able to change the appearances directly from the BOM.

Alternatively, you could set the color in a variable studio, then use that color to drive each part color. This would allow you to change them all at once.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 119 PRO
    edited November 2023
    Hi @MichaelPascoe
    That was indeed way I did it. However due to the Bom structure i have here, even with it fully expanded I don't have every part selectable. (due to the fact I'm not adding all the parts to the BOM as individual parts (set to excluded from BOM) due to commercial reasons.) Long story short: I cant select all the parts as they aren't visible from the BOM. I was hoping for a way to group select parts in viewport or browser (left pane) and being able to change appearance (or material) for several parts as once as you would in part studio. 
    feature request I guess?