Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Editing part numbers in BOM unavailable?

Daniël_van_KoutrikDaniël_van_Koutrik Member Posts: 4 PRO
edited November 2023 in Data management
Hi,

Our company is making a transition from an old CAD system to Onshape and I'm currently working on the metadata. Because we will have old parts from the old system, they need to be entered in the part number column of the BOM list. New parts will get a part number, generated by Onshape.
When we started, I could just copy a column from Excel and paste it in the Onshape BOM. Now however...

(underlined parts are the old parts, from which I need to copy their name into the part number column)

The part number column is grey, which means it cannot be edited. Does this have something to do with the new numbering system? It seems like a rare problem or maybe it has something to do with settings, because I can't find anyone else with this problem.
Also, you should be able to edit the materials from the BOM-list, but that column turned grey as well.

Of course, I can edit in the properties list and in the release window, but doing this for every single part and assembly will take way longer than just copying/pasting a bunch of numbers from Excel.

Hopefully someone knows how to fix this or has a viable workaround!

Greetings, Daniël

Comments

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Are all of those greyed out parts contained in this this document? Or are they linked from another document? I believe they must be in the same document to edit their properties from the BOM table.
  • Options
    @nick_papageorge073

They are mostly linked documents, as it is the top-level assembly. The weird thing is that part numbers used to be editable, and I can still edit things like description and custom properties
  • Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    @nick_papageorge073

They are mostly linked documents, as it is the top-level assembly. The weird thing is that part numbers used to be editable, and I can still edit things like description and custom properties
    Do you have EDIT rights to the documents in question ?
  • Options
    @raj_Onshape

Yes, I created the document and have all rights necessary (unless there are some settings I don't know about)