Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Linking configuration variable of two parts - question

Gerard_BotermanGerard_Boterman Member Posts: 20
Example: In a part studio I create two pieces of timber, part A and part B, with a cross section of 70x45mm and 90x45mm (configurable) and each with variable lengths, configurable.
In the assembly I created the two pieces assembled together.
In the config table list I configure the length of both parts. Works fine. No relation in the lengths
In a second config table list I configure the section to be used for part A. But I have now to configure it also for part B, in a second column. In the assembly, I always want part B to have the same section as part A, without having to list both parts A and B in separate columns. All sections for one assembly should be the same, either 70x45 or 90x45mm.
You can imagine, actually having 100 pieces of timber, I now have to create 100 columns indication the cross sections.
Question:
In the assembly, how can I get part B (and all other 98 parts) to follow the section of part A, without having to put these all into a table list. All dimensions are defined as global variables.
Can this be done in Onshape, linking the cross section dimension?
Thanks, Gerard