Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Versions and History: "Viewing <feature>" not showing the tab of the part with <feature>

brant_herbertbrant_herbert Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I'm confused why, when I review changes made to a part in Versions and History by selecting a history element, it says I'm "Viewing" the part but the tab containing the part in question doesn't change to show that part, it stays on the tab I had selected prior to attempting to review history. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?  Thx.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,382 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I kinda get why it doesn't jump from whatever tab you were on prior to selecting the version or micro-version, but I agree that it's confusing. At the very least it would be helpful if there was some way to click on the "viewing..." heading and have it move you to the relevant tab and feature.

A corollary is that when you click to view a particular version or micro-version and the tab you were on doesn't exist in that version, it warns you and dumps you in another tab (the first?). This makes some sense, but if that's ok, why wouldn't it be more appropriate to move to the tab which was last edited in the version you're switching to?

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,522 PRO
    The history is the timeline for the whole document. What you are "viewing" is therefore that version of the document (which is named after the last "thing" that changed) which applies to all tabs. Changes to one tab can often do affect multiple other tabs so it doesn't switch to the tab where the change was made automatically.

It might be nice to have a shortcut to switch to the tab where that change was made though...
  • Options
    Right. But when the UI says "Viewing Shelf Bracket" and the thing it says I'm "viewing" isn't shown, that's a bit confusing, right?  What then is the meaning of that UI element "Viewing Shelf Bracket"?  What am I supposed to infer from that?  The selected history element relates to a particular feature change made to a part on a particular tab. So why doesn't that tab show?  <scratches head>
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,382 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I kinda get why it doesn't jump from whatever tab you were on prior to selecting the version or micro-version, but I agree that it's confusing. At the very least it would be helpful if there was some way to click on the "viewing..." heading and have it move you to the relevant tab and feature.

A corollary is that when you click to view a particular version or micro-version and the tab you were on doesn't exist in that version, it warns you and dumps you in another tab (the first?). This makes some sense, but if that's ok, why wouldn't it be more appropriate to move to the tab which was last edited in the version you're switching to?
  • Options
    @S1mon - Thanks for the answer, it makes a bit more sense now.