Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to 'extract' flat planes from a model online to make pieces to weld together

Hello all, very new to cad, learning the basics but what im trying to do is over my head. I have a model from thingiverse, a ornithopter from Dune and as a project i wanted to weld one together. The idea was to find a model and since the ship is almost all flat shapes, find a way to copy the flat shapes from the model, order laser cut metal and then assemble afterwards. I have a model, I can import it into onshape but cant figure out to 'explode'(probably not the correct term) the part so that the surface sections can be individually selected. If anyone could tell me if this is even possible, otherwise ill just dig in and struggle through hand modeling it.

Heres a link to the model, thanks for any help

Answers

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    Do I understand you right in that you more or less want to unfold the whole body into a net plan of surfaces that could be folded and welded back into the fuselage and such? I could imagine that sheet metal could do something for you, here. You might not be able to unfold everything in one go, but find regions that could be represented as sheet metal parts with fold and cut joints, bent and assembled.