Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Super Derive with images

graham_lockgraham_lock Member Posts: 15
Hi,

I have a Part Studio which contains a master sketch image which I want to derive into a number of new Part Studios.

In each Part Studio I want to transform the derived master sketch such that I can align the origin appropriately for each part.

It seems that Super Derive does not derive images - is this the case or am I missing something - I'm new to Onshape so that's probably the case.

Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 54 PRO
    I'm guessing it is not possible to derive from an image, I have also a similar problem in which it does not seem to derive from a composite part (though the standard Derive feature do without problems).
    I'm hoping @ilya_baran can provide confirmation.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    It doesn't look like "transform pattern" (which can transform sketches) can do it either...
    Your best bet might be to use the image FS: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f7a45d78c374497d37c1d2cb/v/e55cc4b62eaac7ef75039ab2/e/557019cd8b843cc475681faf
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    Yes, looks like there's some discrepancy -- without investigating, I can't say whether the problem is with the SuperDerive code or something deeper.  We are working on improving the native derive feature to make SuperDerive more or less obsolete, so this shouldn't be an issue too long.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    @ilya_baran
    I hope these Derive improvements also make Point Derive and Transform Pattern obsolete. There are many times that I want to derive parts, sketches, etc to a particular position in a part studio.
  • Options
    jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 54 PRO
    Yes, looks like there's some discrepancy -- without investigating, I can't say whether the problem is with the SuperDerive code or something deeper.  We are working on improving the native derive feature to make SuperDerive more or less obsolete, so this shouldn't be an issue too long.
    I'm using the super derive a lot and would be really interested in having that capability with the native derive feature.
    One thing I need to ask though is why are the imported mate connectors renamed with super derived and is there a quick change that can be made to the code to keep the orginal names? Just like the derive feature does.
    Thanks