Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to apply an external thread to the existing hole?

alex_vestasalex_vestas Member Posts: 44
I want create an external thread on the existing hole (5,1mm).
I've selected the "Hole" tool, then chose "tapped hole" feature - but the Error is displayed in Part-studio left vertical menu.
How to apply this feature correctly? I selected "Top" view, then right click on the hole 5.1mm, but its something wrong. Also, another thing: how to apply holes and threads draw on the side view in the Drawing1?

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    Hello Alex. The Hole feature is looking for a vertex, not an existing hole. Suppress the extrude that created the holes and select the circle centers of sketch 2 when using the Hole tool. - Scotty
  • Options
    I supressed the "Extrude 1", the  selected the Hole tool, but there are no holes visible.

• Options
    Alex, You created the holes with Extrude 2, not Extrude 1. Supress Extrude 2.- Scotty
  • Options
    edited March 5
    By trial and error I managed to add the thread, but "Extrude 2" menu must remain suppressed for this. If I unsuppress it, the thread symbol disappears from Drawing 1 again. Is this normal state, or there is something wrong? In addition, in Drawing 1, the lines indicating holes dimensions shown in bold/orange color. When exporting Drawing 1 to PDF, they are displayed normally. Why?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77ee096183326d1d5a75127f/w/e7bf151710000e3e556cfe88/e/bc6871740eef1502ad47aab1

• Options
    I suspect that Extrude 2 removes material that the threaded holes need to use to be successful. The 1/4-20 works because there is enough material left in the removal of 5.1mm of the hole to be able to succeed. If the selection of the size of thread is changed to something smaller it won't succeed because there is not enough material left. You can just delete the Extrude 2 and let the following Hole features do the job. The other two holes are declared as clearance holes so no thread callout can be expected in the drawing.
    I've not experienced the orange lines you've show in a drawing I've done in the past but I did find a forum discussion about it here.
  • Options
    Thank you. The link referring to orange links discussions not work.