Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

inches fractional in part studio and measurement tool?

reid_priedhorskyreid_priedhorsky Member Posts: 2
Hello, I’m new to Onshape. I found how to use fractional inches in my drawings, but I would also like to do the modeling in fractional inches. For example, here is a sketch in one of my documents (link):

I’d much rather think of the sketch dimensions as ⅜ inch and ¼ inch (instead of 0.375 and 0.25 inches). It would also be nice if the reported measurement was ¼ inch rather than 0.2500.

Here’s the units for the workspace:

This shows another small annoyance, which is that I have to set the display decimals to 4 in order to accommodate sixteenths. E.g., showing 11/16 as 0.6875 is confusing to me and wildly overstates the precision of the part (ten-thousands of an inch rather than a sixteenth or 32nd at best).

Am I missing something? Is this a paid feature?

Thanks,
Reid

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    You can enter dimensions in fractions but they will revert to decimal display once the edit is completed. In this case I typed in 5+1/2 and OS added the formatting.