Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Managing units for DXF imported shapes

jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
I have imported the OpenBeam 1515 thing from thingiverse as a dxf file into a workspace set to work in millimeters.  When it add the dxf to a sketch it is way too big. The shape should be 15mm square.  In fact, it is about 254 times too big (~380mm square).  Interestingly, that is about the factor of mm to inch.  Naively it seems like the sketch/part studio/workspace is not setup to be millimeters properly and is bringing in the dimensionless dxf as 15 *inches* square.  

The only place I can see to set the units is in the top left "Document menu" (beside the Onshape name).  The wording of that has everything as "Default" implying that I can refine that setting elsewhere but where is unclear.  In any event, the very first thing I did when creating the document was set it to mm so everything in the doc should be in terms of mm. 

Any suggestions on how to get this drawing into Onshape as 15mm square?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Now don't I feel silly.  My eyes just did not even register that text at the bottom of the dialog.  D'oh.  Thanks.