Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations for items

Connor_LeCLaireConnor_LeCLaire Member Posts: 33 PRO
I am including items in my assembly, specifically air tubing, where each tube will (intentionally) be a different colour. However, all the tubing is the same size, costs the same, and is from the same supplier. Instead of making 6 different items, is it possible to add a configuration option to the item properties that is selectable when including in the assembly?

Comments

• Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 385 EDU
    Sure.  Make multiple configurations in the Part Studio.  Configure the appearance.  Then, in the asembly, insert various configurations of the parts.
  • Connor_LeCLaireConnor_LeCLaire Member Posts: 33 PRO
    @Matt_Shields I am hoping to avoid using parts from part studios, I want to add this in as an item without having to make 8 individual items that only differ by colour (colour is specified in the item name).
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭
    edited July 31
    I did this a couple of years ago. Made a pneumatic assembly then used in context part studio to make the tubes. The tubing was done by color then I made a composite part for each color. One item per color in the assembly. The company I did the work for didn't care about individual tube lengths. They always had raw stock of each color needed. Frame tool works well or the tubes.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e3f2dce75562bcbd7b431025/w/e2e221a00617964fdf459129/e/f33656850fc8813ff09d7fd3

• Max_KlugeMax_Kluge Member Posts: 16

Hello Connor

Se attached picture. You do not need to make multiple tubes. it is one tube only with different colours configured. Maybe this helps.
  • Max_KlugeMax_Kluge Member Posts: 16
    Hello Connor

Se attached picture. You do not need to make multiple tubes. it is one tube only with different colours configured. Maybe this helps.