Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch line become construction line no matter what

I'm working on the following assembly: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8496c9b72e2d4e8b72e4f828/w/763de19ddd8ab93854b99ad2/e/4cdd894be664232ff91d5730?renderMode=0&uiState=670d403edc9f965d214805e3

I'm on the very last step where I am trying to hollow out the cone/tip. I created a line in the sketch "InteriorCutout" that is fully defined. However, when I confirm the sketch, it automatically converts to a construction line. Since it's a construction, I can't select it as an edge in the loft tool, which results in the loft tool selecting on of the vertices and going to that. What can be done to make that solid and thus select the edge?

I don't see anything about automatic conversion or conditions in the docs: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-construction.htm?tocpath=Part%20Studios%7CSketch%20Tools%7C_____23

I've also tried forcefully going back to the sketch and toggling construction mode, but it always stays the same.

Best Answer

• Oliver_CouchOliver_Couch Member Posts: 133 PRO
    Answer ✓

It's not a construction line - it shows as a broken line to indicate that the sketch element is behind something else.

Answers

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Have you tried the "shell command"? Would this give you what you want?

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey Aaron. Try a browser refresh. - Scotty

• Oliver_CouchOliver_Couch Member Posts: 133 PRO
    Answer ✓

It's not a construction line - it shows as a broken line to indicate that the sketch element is behind something else.

• aaron_chamberlain006aaron_chamberlain006 Member Posts: 4

Since I can't edit the original post: Here's a version for future reference with the issue:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8496c9b72e2d4e8b72e4f828/v/e0b6f90fbd3c65f2ca1a5557/e/4cdd894be664232ff91d5730?renderMode=0&uiState=670da1043b9a7a674665f486

It doesn't seen like the loft tool wanted to use an edge no matter what, so I did end up converting the line to a very thin rectangle with width of 0.12mm, or a single line on a 3D printer with a 0.4mm nozzle. In order to make it easier to select, I right clicked in the view window to hide everything, then enabled just that sketches visibility. After it was selected properly in the loft tool, I right clicked again to show everything again.