Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Aligned measurement issues

anthony_deananthony_dean Member Posts: 3

I am having trouble creating dimensions between points on a drawing that don’t align horizontally or vertically. This may be referred to as an Aligned measurement.

At the page:

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/drawings-dimensions.htm#PlaceText

it says: “Dragging the text around during preview allows for the text to move outside of the extension lines, and also switch between horizontal, vertical, and aligned measurement modes: Dragging the text away in a direction perpendicular to a line through the two chosen snap points creates a dimension line parallel to the two chosen snap points”

However, I find this rarely works. With the dimension tool active I click on two diagonal points and Onshape instantly wants to create a horizontal or vertical dimension between the points regardless of where I drag the dimension text. The pull-down options on the Dimension tool include one for 2 point linear dimension, however having this option active still results in the ability to make only horizontal or vertical dimensions. After several minutes of canceling and reactivating the Dimension tool I can sometimes get a point to point aligned dimension between two diagonal points - but this problem is very frustrating.

Answers

• Oliver_CouchOliver_Couch Member Posts: 133 PRO

You need to drag it further away. Try zooming out.

There's an improvement request logged to make drawing dimensions work the same as sketch dimensions.

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15

The point to point dimension tool should have a third selection pick, (pick a line, after picking the two points) that forces the dimension to "align" to that particular line or other existing geometry.