Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to download all student drawings from an assignment?

When students submit an assignment for me, I require that they create a dimension multiview drawing of their part. Then I grade that drawing. It would be very helpful if I could mass download all the student drawings that have been submitted instead of needing to open each drawing individually.

Does anyone have a method of downloading all submitted drawings from an assignment? Or a workflow that you find to be most helpful when sorting through 50 submissions?

Answers

  • Ste_Wilson
    Ste_Wilson Member Posts: 669 EDU

    I usually just open each document. Worst case i click on the drawing tab, but it's often useful to look at the model as well. Drop some feedback using the comments feature.

    If you're only interested in a nicely dimensioned orthographic drawing why not just get the students to submit a print to .pdf and have the submit through your usual assignment setting software?

  • daniel_doremus606
    daniel_doremus606 Member Posts: 4 ✭

    My online platform is oddly hit or miss when it comes to students uploading files. Sometimes it won't accept spreadsheets, images or pdfs, other times it will. Students complain that the uploads caused errors that they can't figure out, then I'll have them email me the files, and then my own disorganization in my email causes me to lose track of their submissions. I haven't yet tried it for these pdfs, so maybe they were just uploading too large of files for the system to handle.

    I was hoping to find a work around to that, but it is a very reasonable suggestion that I'll give a shot.

  • Matt_Shields
    Matt_Shields Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 986 PRO

    Using Classes & Assignments, it wouldn't take too many clicks to open each student's document and check out the drawing. There is also the single-source-of-truth benefit where no one is downloading PDFs. And you can leave comments.

    Screenshot 2026-09-25 at 12.36.44 PM.png

    If you really wanted to download drawings in bulk, you could try something like this:
    https://colab.research.google.com/drive/11cP4IviCNqKw1mtuMQ3Q-QYmlA_BvalO?usp=sharing

    Just be aware of your API call limit.