Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I move a rectangle by a midpoint of a side to intersect/align with another object?

whtmountainwhtmountain Member Posts: 6
I'm trying to replicate a relatively simple model I did earlier today in another program in OnShape to make a comparison of the time and effort involved between them.

And I got stuck.

I sketched a centerpoint rectangle over the corner of another rectangle.  Then I needed to move the midpoint of the left side of it until it intersected another, larger, rectangle drawn around the original.

And nothing I tried would let me do that.

How do you do that?...without having to put a point out there, then draw a line the exact length you need from that point back toward the corner of the inner rectangle, and then drawing the centerpoint rectangle on that line endpoint?

Roughly shown here:

Answers

• james_dalessandro195james_dalessandro195 Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 7
    You need to constrain or dimension it to that line. You will probably have to break some constraints to move it as it looks like it is fully constrained.
  • shanshan_xushanshan_xu OS Professional Posts: 2
    whtmountain, the rectangle you want to move has been constrainted fully, all its lines and points are black, that's why you can not move it , so delete the dimension 0.4, then drag the vertex on the top left corner to the left line, then it is ok !
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @whtmountain , Currently your sketch is fully defined. you have to delete 0.4 dimension as @shanshan_xu suggested. After that you can move that rectangle. kindly refer below video for more detail.

• michael_batson254michael_batson254 Member Posts: 4
    Is there a way to slow down the video?  You draw it so fast, I can't figure out what you're doing.  It would be nice if it could be paused, but that would be something Onshape would have to fix.
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    This is a very old post, do you have problems with sketching in Onshape?
    Many try this as a start.
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/fundamentals-sketching