Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

PART STUDIOS & ASSEMBLIES

brian_ruppbrian_rupp OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
If you have your part studio complete and then make an assembly to match it and then go back and tweak the part studio layout is there any way to "update" the assembly rather than re-insert any new parts or change the mates to reflect changes in the part studio?

Answers

• Options
    ethanethan Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 24
    The parts should automatically update in real time in the assembly as you edit them in the part studio. 
  • Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    If you update the parts within the part studio ... assemblies will update. But if you add new parts to the part studio they won't automatically show up in the assembly.

For such a workflow you can create a part studio (PS1) and assembly (A1) with all the part studio parts.... and use A1 everywhere where you mean to to use PS1 parts. This way when parts are added/deleted you only need to update A1 and it will update everywhere else
  • Options
    So lets say I want to add another piece to the design of which I have a part studio and assembly of.  Do I need to draw it in part studio and then import the part to the assembly as well?  At this point I just don't see too much use for the assembly feature except I need BOM's created which I believe only assembly does.  
  • Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @brian_rupp would you prefer to create a BOM from Part Studio and not to use assemblies? 

• Options
    oleg...Yes.  That would be ideal.  Sorry for the long response time.
  • Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @brian_rupp thank you for the feedback - we are considering to add Part Studio support. Meantime, the simple workaround - just create Assembly and put a whole part studio there. openBoM will produce a BOM with Part count based on names (just select - "Group by name" option when creating BOM in openBoM). More details about it here -- https://medium.com/@openbom/openbom-integrated-for-onshape-ongoing-improvements-ffd7c761fc45