Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Offset tool on Text?

matthew_muckermatthew_mucker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Is it possible to use the offset tool on text in a sketch?

I'm designing a thingamabob to print on my 3D printer. I want to print and object, then have a text inlay printed as a separate part that snaps into the first part. I'm new at 3D printing, but I'm comfortably certain that I need to allow a small gap between the text inlay and the hole for the text inlay. So I was thinking that I'd create a text object in the sketch, then use the offset tool to create the gap, extrude both, use the boolean function to cut the text-plus-offset out of the first part, then remove the offset extrusion and have my text part remain.

But I can't get the offset tool to work with a text object in a sketch. Am I missing something here, or am I just out of luck?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    matthew_mucker , Currently user cannot use Offset for sketch text in Onshape. You can raise improvement request for this. In near future we hope that this facility will be provided by Onshape.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Can you offset the individual letters?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @owen_sparks, Currently it is not possible for user to offset even individual letter also.
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    What you can do, however, is first extrude the text, and then boolean-subtract it with an offset (and the "keep tools" option checked).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Good thinking Ilya, thanks.

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd