Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

engraving and markings

bruce_khalilibruce_khalili Member Posts: 2 PRO
edited August 2016 in Community Support
I am new to onshape, need help on how to engrave on a model, for example if I need to engrave or laser-mark part numbers on a flat or curved surface

Answers

• Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Welcome to Onshape, Bruce!

Do you have pictures/examples of what you're looking to do?

Here's a cool "emboss" FeatureScript from @dave_cowdenhttps://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfec40e2b66bb4ddb2f3414b/w/24132f252a02825eb0606641/e/67f132612739f155f5474819

Since you're new to OS, you may want to watch the videos on FS here (especially the second one on how to add a custom feature to your model): https://www.onshape.com/featurescript
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    @fastwayjim thanks for the mention! @bruce_khalili  let me know how it the curved text feature works for you!
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @bruce_khalili
    This functionality does not exist natively inside onshape yet.  
    Are you wanting to do this for a rendering or for a manufacturing blueprint? 

We manufacture many parts that require laser marking on a cylindrical surface.  We use the drawings to callout the specifications instead of actually modeling the text on the part.  

Actually...we send some parts out for laser marking when we can't do them in house and the contract laser marking company REQUIRES a part drawing with the text callout on the drawing- not a 3D model with the text engraved in it. 
  • Options
    bruce_khalilibruce_khalili Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Thank you, we need to build it into molds or engrave on metal parts which increases production cost. so it has to be in the model
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited August 2016
    Edit - sorry Jim has already suggested this but I can't delete the post

@bruce_khaliliI believ @dave_cowden has a groovy featurescript that will allow you to put text onto curved surfaces that can be extruded.  Worth giving him a shout.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd