Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to double the size of an assembly ?

jmproulxjmproulx Member Posts: 3 PRO
I want to create a new assembly (and all its parts) that is 2 times the size of an existing assembly. My purpose here is to get a 3D printing prototype twice the size of the real object. How can I do that ? 

Answers

• Options
    rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    jmproulx said:
    I want to create a new assembly (and all its parts) that is 2 times the size of an existing assembly. My purpose here is to get a 3D printing prototype twice the size of the real object. How can I do that ? 

One way to do it is to use the Transform tool in the Part Studio where the original parts are and scale them uniformly and then export it, or when you import it into your 3D printing software to scale it within the 3D printing software. For example, Makerbot software give the option to scale by %.
  • Options
    jmproulxjmproulx Member Posts: 3 PRO
       Do I have to scale every part individually or can I scale the assembly instead ?
  • Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    edited September 2016
    I don't think it's possible for an assembly yet.  However, most slicing software for 3D printers have a scale function built in.  So you can probably export the entire assembly as-is, and then just make it a 2x size inside the slicer. 
    <ETA>  Oops, I noticed @rbaek already mentioned that!
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmproulx said:
       Do I have to scale every part individually or can I scale the assembly instead ?
    If you have all your parts imported into a single part studio, you should be able to use a transform feature on all bodies at once.