Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Add properties

Hello,

I added properties in my openBOM and I can't find how to linked them to the properties of my parts in onshape. Is it possible to do that?

Thank u,

Géraldine

Answers

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 211
    edited September 2016
    Some properties are already linked by default. These properties include the part names of the assembly in question and most of properties from the Workspace properties menu. Some properties you need to create a revision in OpenBoM (not to be confused with an Onshape version) first before you can change them.

More properties will be coming in the future :)

Best,

Jason
    Support & QA
  • Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO

@geraldine_roesslinger

Properties are hardcoded for the moment. 

The following properties mapped from Onshape to openBoM. When you create or update BOM these properties goes from Onshape to openBoM. If you remove parts, BOM will be updated as well. If you add Items in openBoM, they will remain without changes (eg. glue, paint, etc.) 

Onshape-->openBoM: 
    Name
    Quantity
    Description
    Part Number
    Revision
    State
    Material 

The following properties can be updated in Onshape. Each time you click on "Update Onshape properties", information will be transferred from openBoM to Onshape. 

openBoM-->Onshape:
    Quantity 
    Description
    Part Number 
    Revision 
    State (only for Onshape Version)

We will expand list of supported properties as API will become available.

In one of the next updates, we will support update for "Names" from openBoM to Onshape.  

The idea "to link" properties sounds interesting. We will research what is possible to do in the future. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Oleg @ openbom.com 

• Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited September 2016
    Tagging in here. BoM & properties stuff is really interesting.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    I'm here on this topic as well.  The modeling features of OS are awesome, but I feel that some of the post initial production (rev.'s and updates) is lacking.
  • Options
    @jackson_king is it about tracking production information? revisions, release information, histories or changes? 

• Options
    @oleg_shilovitsky, my level of concern is for the revisions that come based on engineering/production related changes.  Currently OS versions are for the document level only, but I've heard some rumors of there being more granular control (part level versions)  That capability tied with a BOM so that it can be stored, tracked and updated as needed and brought into the needed drawings would be helpful for sure!  I'm really just looking for a good way to track the individual part revisions and have a way to bring those into a part or assembly drawing as needed.  See attached....  I currently accomplish this with openBOM with a few custom columns and take a screen shot of the info I want and add that into the OS drawing as an image, which has a few more steps than I would like, but it has worked out rather well.

• Options
    @jackson_king thanks for sharing! You can get the level of granularity using openBOM revisions inside of the same version of Onshape drawing. Each time you make a change, you can apply "Save new revision" in openBoM. In that way, you will have track of all notes historically accumulated in Onshape document in openBoM revs. 

• Options
    Thanks @oleg_shilovitsky, I'll give that a try!