Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to generate 2D or 3D patterns intended for reducing volume of a model?

chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
I'm looking into SLS for manufacturing of some parts, and the key to making SLS affordable seems to be reducing the volume of nylon needed.  For that reason I've been sketching rectangles or circles on faces of a part, extruding those sketches to remove material from the part, and ending up with a part that's much lighter, but looking like swiss cheese.

This method works to reduce volume and price, but it takes a while and the part doesn't look great in the end.  Is there a tool around for making good-looking patterns on surfaces, or throughout a part, which I could then remove?   Like a voronoi generator or other geometric shape generator?  

Best Answers

Answers