Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Versioning parts to see changes in the assembly (Assembly and Part are in separate assembly).

Hi.
I am making changes in a part file and then want to see how those changes affect my assembly. In Solidworks this would just be in-assembly part editing and the changes are immediately seen. In Onshape it appears that i have to make a change, then create a version, then move to my assembly workspace and up-version the part file in the assembly. This is inefficient and is making tracking versioning difficult.

Does a smarter way to do what i'm doing exist? If so please explain.
How do i delete versions? 

Thanks
Craig

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the assembly and part are in different documents, there isn't a better way. OS does this so the assembly doesn't keep changing when an uncontrolled part keeps changing. However, if the part is in the same document as the assembly, then the assembly should auto update with any changes made in the part studio.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Just to add to this if in same doc it's nice to have the studio open in one browser and the assembly in another, especially in dual monitors, and then you really do have the option to mod the studio and see the results in real time.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    It would be nice to have an option to enable the current in-work version of a part. It may be a volatile link, but for some parts (like fasteners), you pretty much always want the latest version.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    mahir said:
    I stand corrected. As a lowly free user, I just didn't see the magnitude of files that some people can generate. I upvoted the advanced search enhancement, though.
    Hi @mahir

(1) Nothing "lowly" about the contribution you make to this place.
    (2) Are you replying to the correct thread? :-)

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Nope, wrong thread, but I edited my post.