Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem with USE tool

Steve_BundickSteve_Bundick Member Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Community Support
I'm unable to select any entities from sketches other than the one I am editing. I think I should be able to select entities from other sketches and utilize the USE tool to use in new sketch.  Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Do you have a specific example ?  One should be able to use both model edges and sketch entities from other sketches.
  • Options
    I have a document called UP_Wheel.For example, there is a Sketch Front.  I'm trying to use points/lines from Sketch SpokeInward or SpokeOutward where they intersect with Sketch Front.  But I can't highlight anything from the other sketches when editing Sketch Front.  The document is public.
  • Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    I think the problem is not that you cannot use edge from a sketch but you cannot use edge from any feature that is created afterwards in history.

If you move you sketch Front after "SpokeInward" in the feature list you can achieve this.
  • Options
    Ahhh....thank you very much!  That was it.
  • Options
    jess_robinson995jess_robinson995 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I think the problem is not that you cannot use edge from a sketch but you cannot use edge from any feature that is created afterwards in history.

If you move you sketch Front after "SpokeInward" in the feature list you can achieve this.
    I came here wondering the same thing.. is there any reason *why* you cant use features in future sketches to edit against?

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @jess_robinson995
    This is how parametric modeling works. The geometry is a result of replay of the instructions recorded in feature tree. The dependencies in these instructions can only flow one way.