Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can USE do this?

SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Community Support
All I want to do is USE the edges of the hole in Sketch 2, but it will not do it here.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f6ef7481f54a159f9381ad09/w/24086173c899c566bad8c32c/e/c5b0324009eb34afd2a30068

I can use the edges of the Part and the filet tangent line, but not the curves or the edges of the hole as it goes through the block. I realise I can construct the edge lines other ways, but it would be useful if the USE command could do this directly.

Should this work?

Cheers,
John

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 273 PRO
    You tried the slice intersect?
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 273 PRO
    I think the intersection command is what you're looking for.

Create a plane where you want your sketch to be and start a sketch.  Select the intersect command and pick the surfaces you want to project onto the plane. It will project the curve at the point the plane is slicing.
  • Options

Is that what you're after?
    Yes. That's exactly what I'm after. I was trying to USE the edges of the hole while viewing normal to Sketch 2, and it would not let me touch the edges in that situation. Not sue why that situation does not work - it seems like a useful thing. But at least I can USE the edges if I change my view.

To the other responses here, yes I could make a plane and to an intersection, but that seems more involved when a simple USE should do the job.

BTW, how are you capturing those screen shots with the highlighted orange bits?

Cheers all,
    John
  • Options
    So OS doesn't allow selection of edges points or planes which are hidden items at the time of picking? Do you always have to rotate so that the desired pick point/line/entity is directly visible and not a greyed hidden item?

I thought maybe there was a key modifier to allow the mouse to select 'deeper' entities. It seems strange that when viewing normal to my sketch plane, and seeing visible although 'hidden' details, that I cannot select those details for USE. Maybe this is deliberate to avoid confusion?
  • Options
    Thanks for that explanation. Select other will help.

Cheers,
    John
  • Options
    Well I thought Select Other would help, but I'm trying it on the drawing (attached above) with a sketch on the plane of the drawing and it does absolutely nothing. I've read the help on Select Other, and that's not helped at all. Can't find a video tutorial for select other, so I'm a bit stumped as to what you think select other is going to do. The description in the help is pretty much what I was hoping for, but when I try it it simply does nothing.

Viewing the part normal to Sketch2, I really cant understand why I am able to USE the fillet tangent line at a simple touch, but not the other lines which define the edges of the hole and the fillet profile.

Sorry to go on about this, but its so inconsistent, and your suggestion of Select Other is simply doing nothing here - whatever I click on  it just says "No Selections Found".