Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Wiring Script keeps showing a self intersecting message

rick_chapmanrick_chapman Member Posts: 24 PRO
I have multiple planes with reference points on them but each time I try to run the wire to the points I receive the self-intersecting message.
Am I missing a step?

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Ilya.  I struggled long enough that I finally drew the wires in.
    It will be a very useful feature once the bugs are worked out.

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Keep in mind that the wire starts perpendicular to the sketch plane of the first point and ends perpendicular to the sketch plane of the last point.  So, for example, if all your points are on one sketch plane and the tangent weights are low, you will get a self-intersecting wire.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    I am actually going from one plane vertical up for 24" then horizontal for 16" then vertically down to a point on a lower plane.  It would look a lot like an inverted U if it was able to work.
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Hmm, looks like there are some weirdnesses in the wiring feature that among other things make it hard to debug.  @jon_sorrells tells me he's working on a version with substantial improvements.  Stay tuned!

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Ilya.  I struggled long enough that I finally drew the wires in.
    It will be a very useful feature once the bugs are worked out.