Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Iterative features patterns: moves not reflected in later sketches?

brooks_talleybrooks_talley Member Posts: 27
Kind of a weird case here, but I am using a feature pattern to increment a counter that is used for positioning elements.

However, it seems like sketch planes are not being patterned when a transform operation is performed during the pattern. Here is a test document that illustrates the issue:

...the original block in the bottom left has been patterned upwards. As part of the pattern, the block is also moved to the right. A sketch and extrude on top of the block is included in the pattern... but the lateral movement of its parent is not reflected. I've tried with the transform being both before and after the sketch/extrude for the upper block; they act the same. 

I would expect this document to produce three copies of the stacked blocks in a diagonal pattern. But... no love.

I've tried boolean union-ing the two parts, and even having the second extrude just add to the original part, changing the order of items in the pattern, everything I can think of.

Any ideas or workarounds?

Answers

• Options
    brooks_talleybrooks_talley Member Posts: 27
    Ah, heard back from support. Apparently external references are not resolved in patterns. You should see the crazy workaround I've got, constructing surfaces to basically build a sketch out of 3d elements.