Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude a sketch pattern

kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
Simple task using new circular sketch pattern - negative extrude of bolt circle holes.  I can't get it to work in this public doc:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c3e09ae6e02c4419ba02565f/w/fa1e5b3decf94da4a43b25e4/e/a7542a954fd341d6b9b938be

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    edited April 2015
     @Kirk looks like the circles you created are construction geometry. Onshape ignores construction geometry in features. I took the liberty of 'solidifying' them for you. Looks fine now.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    When I open it I still see the same error.  Not sure what "construction geometry" means.
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    There wasn't a sketch selected for extrude 2. I added it and the cuts work. I then took two circles and made them construction so only 4 cuts are made. "Construction" is a style that means that the geometry is typically used to drive other geometry but shouldn't result in solid geometry when used, e.g. in an extrude. In the attached image I have depressed the button that is used to toggle it. You can see the two circles at the top are dashed, meaning they are for construction. The other's aren't. So when it is extruded there are four holes. Select one of the dashed circles and hit the construction button to toggle their state.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#web-help/sketch-tools-construction.htm?Highlight=construction

Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    Perfect.  Didn't understand the construction toggle.  Similar to SW center line, but here it can also be used for the bolt circle without deleting the circle.