Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Select Axis to be something other than an edge, eg center of mass, origin in Z axis, etc

Lyle_WalshLyle_Walsh Member Posts: 46
When trying to transform or make a circular pattern, an axis of rotation is required.  Must this be and edge of some object?  Is there no way to select the center of mass or the center of the bounding box or the origin and pick one of the cardinal axiis?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you may use cylinrical or conical face or line of the sketch as reference to the axis of pattern and rotate features
  • Options
    Lyle_WalshLyle_Walsh Member Posts: 46
    For example, I want to make 8 rectangular box cuts out of the inside of a pipe.  It seems that I must make the box, transform/ move it to the pipe wall and transform / move in xyz to align it to position for first cutout.  Then make another box, position it so that the edge is at the origin, then go back to the cutout and do circular pattern of the cutout, delete the alignment box and then do my booleans to make cuts out of pipe wall.  Is this the best way to do this?