Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Broken line in DXF for laser cut in place of a bend

I wish to have parts cut in thin sheet metal on a laser.  I intend to replace bends done with a brake with a broken cut line (stop-start, stop-start) to make the part bend preferentially on the line, and by hand.   I've generated my sheet metal models and flat drawings.  Now I need a DXF with the "strop-start" line type to replace the bend line, which does not show up in the DXF.  I suspect that there is some way to edit the DXF in software such as Adobe Illustrator or others.  However, since the bend lines don't show in the DXF any additions or edits I might do would be less accurate than the original model.   Is there any way within Onshape to create a drawing modification that would show as my intended stop-start line type over the bend lines so that the DXF will include the perforation cuts for my bends?   I'd like a 50 % cut as a starting point so perhaps cut 1/2 inch and skip 1/2 inch.

D. Humburg 

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @daniel_humburg - we do export the bend centerlines with the flat by default.
    The line style is "center line". If you want to change this, there are free stand alone 2D editors that could do that.
    Here is a sample of our output

I hope this helps :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape