Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fully constrain a sketch

Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Community Support
Is there a miracle feature that will fully constrain a sketch like available on other platform? I imported a cad shape and need to constrain it but it will take a while due to complexity. I don't need the sketch to adapt only to have it as a block.

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you just want to treat the geometry as a block, can you just box select all sketch entities and apply a fixed constraint?
  • Options
    OMG it's a miracle thanks a lot :) I did not know that was the purpose of this constraint.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, no problem.
  • Options
    Darn it's almost a very good solution... The only issue is that when coping the fixed sketch is looses all constraint. Further that points have to be fixed separately of segments.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the solution depends on how are you going to use that geometry, if you coping that sketch without editing to different planes maybe worth to perform operations you need in place with original sketch and use a part/feature pattern. so you don't even requare to fix the geometry. if you need editable instances the only solution will be to manually put a fix constraints.