Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch references on and transformed part

aaron_skidmoreaaron_skidmore Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
Does anyone have ant ideas regards why I cant make sketch references on a part that has been moved by a transform. The only way I see how to do this is to make a copy of the part during the transform.

Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see your document, but referencing a transformed solid or surface body shouldn't be a problem. However, if a sketch references a part that is then later transformed after the sketch, the sketch won't update to reflect the new geometry. You would have to insert the sketch after the transform.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    As Mahir said, without a document to examine, its very hard for us to comment. That said, you should be able to create a sketch on a part REGARDLESS of whether it has been transformed or will be so at a later feature. Please post a link if you would like a definitive explanation.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • aaron_skidmoreaaron_skidmore Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Here is example https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2b154c3255440e2b37263453/w/3bed9f942e57b058b12fcab2/e/c70f7c84f17994b8438f4afd

in "Sketch 2" if you right click on the box edge line there is no "use" on the menu to reference the box edge line, if you change "transform 1" to "copy part" then you there is a "Use" on the menu

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    aaron_skidmore - not sure what i am doing wrong, but i get the 'use' option.
    Please confirm that you are using a supported browser (chrome, firefox, safari)?

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • aaron_skidmoreaaron_skidmore Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Hi Philip, see attached no "use" when trying to reference the object edge not the sketch line.
    @aaron_skidmore - YUP YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!!!!
    It is true that you do not get the 'use' on your RMB menu.

The good news is that the kb shortcut DOES WORK - Hopefully you are now unblocked!!!!!

I will write this up as a bug! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can replicate what @aaron_skidmore is seeing. You can Use the edge using the toolbar button, but the Use option doesn't show up in the right-click menu for the non-copied transformed body.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @aaron_skidmore

The 'use' option in the context menu is actually a shortcut for the 'use' tool in your sketch toolbar:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-use.htm

You can click on that tool or even use the 'u' shortcut to use that edge.

The visibility of the 'use' option in the context menu is controlled by a number of different factors, if you would like us to look into why it isn't showing up in your case, please press "Report a bug" or "Feedback" under the "?" menu near the top right corner of your Part Studio.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team