Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Circular pattern won't accept extrude entity - why?

gianmario_scottigianmario_scotti Member Posts: 22 EDU
edited February 2018 in Community Support
Dear all,

what am I doing wrong? I wanted to use circular pattern to replicate a fin on a rocket - but try as I may, I can't seem to be able to have the extrude entity accepted by the "Entities to pattern" -field.

Here is the document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b0b4f5a27f7aab00f1108cd2/w/03ec421f3c4ef95012dc7e56/e/d11c9ac336fd8a776d8b1ca4

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: OK, I figured it out: for some reason I can't do this with the extrude instance, but if I make that instance a separate part (selecting "New" instead of "Add" while creating the extrude), then it works.

I'd like to delete this forum post, but don't know how to.

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I figured it out: for some reason I can't do this with the extrude instance, but if I make that instance a separate part (selecting "New" instead of "Add" while creating the extrude), then it works.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I figured it out: for some reason I can't do this with the extrude instance, but if I make that instance a separate part (selecting "New" instead of "Add" while creating the extrude), then it works.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2018
    Hi I believe to could have also done it as a face pattern on your original "add" type extrude which may regenerate quicker than a feature pattern followed by a Boolean.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd