Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal flat pattern nesting

kevin_ward365kevin_ward365 Member Posts: 2
I am creating some simple sheet metal designs that I need to nest the flat pattern into a drawing for laser cutting.  I was trying to take the flat pattern and make a new part studio but for some reason I can't figure it out.  Is there something I need to do?  I can export to DWG but then I can't really do anything with it.  Thanks in advance for helping this noob.

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @kevin_ward365

You can insert your flat patterns in an Assembly and lay them out there (possibly by also bringing in a layout sketch).

If you really want the flats in a Part Studio, you can first bring them into an assembly, then create a new Part Studio in-context of that assembly and use the Transform feature with copy-in-place to make the flats movable.  I gave a more detailed description of this in-context trick here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/37447#Comment_37447
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team