Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mates

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
I'm attempting to insert a handle into/through a stove pipe section. I would like to be able to rotate the handle on it's shaft axis. I have assigned a mate connector to the end of the handle shaft on it's face and another on the interior of the stove pipe. I then attempted to use a revolute mate to mate them. The mate is made along the primary axis of both mates. What I wanted to do is have the primary axis of the handle to mate with a secondary axis of the stove pipe and then offset the two to position the handle shaft through the stove pipe at a right angle. Can't figure out how to do that. I thought I should be able to change the primary axis of the stove pipe to accomplish that but was not able to nor could I find any information to indicate that it could be done. Perhaps I am on the completely wrong path. Please reveal the solution. Thanks - Scotty

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c9bf13ebd64cdd56196ffd0a/w/45e7acf352925c54c6faec7b/e/3e809abc5e2634df93a8abb6

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Ah! Got it figured out. I edited the Stove Pipe Mate, choosing to (under Realign) select the right plane (in this case) as the Primary Axis. Then offset to desired position. - Scotty

(Now, how can I remember how to do it next week if necessary?)

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Ah! Got it figured out. I edited the Stove Pipe Mate, choosing to (under Realign) select the right plane (in this case) as the Primary Axis. Then offset to desired position. - Scotty

(Now, how can I remember how to do it next week if necessary?)