Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is it possible to search within the currently opened document?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I know it is possible to conduct a search at the "My Onshape Document" level, but this is intended to find documents. What I want is to limit the search to just the currently opened document. Some of my documents have considerable content that I have attempted to organize in nested folders. Problem is I sometimes forget where I put things and I need a simple way to find specific elements (OS document tabs). 

Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ctrl+Shift+F or click the search button in the upper right.

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    @mahir that is exactly what I expect/want to see... 

however, I am not blessed with the magnifying glass (Search) icon.

Do you happen to be a a "Professional", or "Standard" (paying) user?

Strange. I'm a freeloader. No "Pro" next to my name ;)
    edited May 2018
    Looks like the magnifying glass and even Ctl-Shift-F only work in some of my documents. Maybe it's available only if you have more than some minimum number of tabs?
    Strange indeed. I tried the Ctrl+Shift+F keyboard shortcut... Nothing. 

Where did you hear about this shortcut?

I think I found the answer: Alt+T = Search Tabs
    Yep. The search tabs button/shortcut is handy, but I don't think it lets you search the content of the tabs. I saw the ctl-shift-F button on my toolbar. I think it's linked to having a featurescript tab as part of your document. FS tabs are the only native tabs with a lot of text to search other than feature/part names.
    You right once I create a Feature Script tab in the document the search icon appears.

Searching from the "Tab Manager" (Alt-T) solves my immediate need to locate another tab, but you are right that is as deep as the search goes; content within a tab is out of scope. While I have not had a need to conduct such a low level search I can envision the need in the future. For example, I want to locate drawings that contains a note with specific text.

Note: The icon that opens the Tab Manager includes a magnifying glass. Obvious clue, but it is in a location were my eyes never go. I expected to find the icon at the top in the OS session browser tab title region.  

• kevin_guokevin_guo Onshape Employees Posts: 18
    StephenG,

As suggested, currently there are only limited search functionalities within a document.

Search is one area Onshape will continue to improve, please open an enhancement request with your preference, or plus vote if there is already similar request. We will prioritize the work.

Thanks,