Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assistance with Configuration

kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0ce3dc4baee9d2f5174e7148/w/f8519ec54c50a13dfd9ef44e/e/675e6f41a29ca47650d5cca2 Take a look at the angle ring configurator I put together. I don't seem to be able to use a variable for the number of holes in the circular array. See the sketch called hole pattern. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @kent_henderson are you trying to use a configuration variable? You need to make sure that the variable is an integer so that it can be used for the circular array. If you left the variable at length that it will error out because you can't have the hole patterned 3.25 times.

I am saying all of this based on assumptions since you only shared a view only link. If you need more assistance please fill out a feedback ticket and share the document with support so we can dive deeper into it.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited August 2018
    Sorry, sketch patterns don't support variables. However face and surface patterns do...

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
    Sorry for not sharing properly. I made that public now. My variables don't look like yours????

My variable was set as a number. If I do a new array, it seems to allow the variable. Of course it doesn't change with my configurator and when I go back to the sketch it's assumed the value of #n but #n is no longer displayed if I double click. Owen is indicating the array doesn't support variables. He might be right.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Owen is correct -- variables in sketch patterns won't work currently.  If you instead create one hole using your sketch and then use the circular pattern feature to do a face pattern, it should work.

The "variables" look different because Brad was showing a config variable, and you're using a variable feature -- you can learn about configuration variables from the configurations video here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7975/improvements-to-onshape-january-2nd-2018/p1
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
    Worked great. Thank you.