Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

cut with a surface

don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Community Support
is it possible to cut with a surface? I tried the thicken option but couldn't get enough thickness to cut the part

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/71f32dc45abd4884aa76c045/w/61c0ec2dae48406080ccef39/e/b4a44f50708e4d3488d143c0

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thanks that's what I needed. I was trying to do it with extrude and thicken.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I could only choose 1 surface to split the part and was unable to select both. Therefore I went ahead and thickened your surfaces a did Boolean subtract then hide the remaining piece.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0b426828b6474c78909a6732/w/1e084a4936e341c8af91ebc5/e/27d9514be44a467eb22e9ed0
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At present we cannot knit surfaces in Onshape.
    The only way I'm aware of to create surface knits is to model them in a single feature.
  • Options
    I was able to create a loft and then I used the split part option, essentially trimming the part. Now if I could only do a variable radius.

• Options
    pat_kelemenpat_kelemen Member Posts: 1 PRO
    At present we cannot knit surfaces in Onshape.
    The only way I'm aware of to create surface knits is to model them in a single feature.

A separate topic, but something I had to find out today (and would have been helpful to know generally). The fill feature will automatically knit a surface body to create a solid (if all surfaces of the knit are selected to create the fill surface).

If you have geometry where that's not the case, but have a group of surfaces that could create a closed body, the union feature can be used to create a knit (or, create a solid from the group of surfaces).

It's possible these features were not an option at the time of the creation of this thread, but for anybody trying to knit like how SolidWorks allows, these features will be the equivalent of what you would use.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    This thread is ancient (in Onshape releases). As you say the Boolean union feature will knit surfaces, and there's also mutual trim now too.