Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Printing from Onshape requires I export PDF first

leon_goldmanleon_goldman Member Posts: 8
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I just tried to print a test drawing. Drawing worked OK, but when I print directly from Onshape over half of the diagram fails. I am using ANSI A size (letter size). If I export the drawing to a PDF and print from the PDF reader application, the drawing prints out fine. It's just an extra step I would like to avoid
Using Firefox 38.2.1 as my browser and Linux as my OS with a Brother MFC-J6710DW printer.
thanks.

Answers

• andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    Hi Leon,
    I have opened a ticket for this so we can investigate. When you say the diagram fails, do you mean the print is cropped?
    Regards,
    Andy
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • leon_goldmanleon_goldman Member Posts: 8
    Yes, the sheet is cut off. See attached pdf. Page 1 is printing after export. Page 2 is printing directly from Onshape.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We have noticed in Linux with Firefox this to be an issue.  Looking at the options in FF it might be related to using the setting for PDF to use Firefox or the document viewer.  Anyone else seeing this issue with Firefox and Linux?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    In firefox I get the bottom 1/4 of the image cut-off on a part studio or assembly. If I try to print a drawing I get a blank page.
  • teddy_pessagnoteddy_pessagno Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I have Ubuntu 14.04 , Firefox 40.0.3. I image is to big for the sheet. And holding it up to a light with one printed from Chrome it is bigger and does not fit on the sheet.
    But mine did not end up on 2 sheets.

Teddy_P
  • leon_goldmanleon_goldman Member Posts: 8
    My work around was to change how PDF's are handled in my preferences. (Preferences->Applications) and to change from the preview in firefox to open in an external pdf viewer (in my case the default viewer for the OS). That way when I print from the Onshape document menu, it opens externally and I print from that application and the drawing is printed correctly.