Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Inter-dependant Mates - am I expecting too much or is this a bug.

brett_suttonbrett_sutton Member Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I'm trying to model a fairly simple robot arm.

Basically I'm trying to move a segment of the arm using a linear actuator (a threaded rod between the two segments).

The two arm segments and the threaded rod form a triangle. Shortening or lengthening the rod changes the position of the segments relative to each other.

If you look at the assembly I have four inter related mates however the fifth mate (which 'closes' the triangle) causes an error.

Robot arm with four mates
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/95e94cab4009425aa536295c/v/4557c9ceedc34c36a89bf326

Robot arm with fifth mate and error
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/95e94cab4009425aa536295c/v/74f1713dfa684e56ad5130b0/e/d39db2ce3fcb45708f25fed9

The two arm segments are joined with a rotational mate.

Each segment than has an actuator end point 'holder'. The holders are mated to the arm segments using a rotational mate. 

The threaded rod is then inserted into each end point  using a sliding mate.

Now from a simple physical process the geometry of the arm works, however it appears  that onshape  is unable to handle the 'circular' nature of the full set of mates.

Am I expecting too much from onshape mates or is this a bug?

Best Answer

Answers