Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Threads

imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
Having trouble finding this one here.
Is there a method for creating a threaded hole or thread on a shaft (reference only ).
I need to apply the threaded reference so it can be called up in the drawing later.
No modeled helix is required

Best Answer

Answers

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @imagineered I believe you are looking for a feature called cosmetic threads (Name in SW/SE),  currently OS does not have this feature available, you can vote on the improvement request :

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1456/add-cosmetic-thead#latest

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Not so much a cosmetic or image, but a Thread reference that is tied to the part so the the detail may be called out in the drawing.
    But good to know it wasn't just me looking for it.
    Not just in SW or SE, but NX, CATIA etc.  It would be a big failing not to include such an item
  • ron_petersonron_peterson Member Posts: 4
    Not so much a cosmetic or image, but a Thread reference that is tied to the part so the the detail may be called out in the drawing.
    But good to know it wasn't just me looking for it.
    Not just in SW or SE, but NX, CATIA etc.  It would be a big failing not to include such an item
    Yes this is an important feature for me also
  • imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Yes, thanks @nav , was confused a little by the "cosmetic" reference & was thinking it was referring to the SE additional practice where it can also place a "texture" which is effectively a picture projected onto the surface - this is not really necessary for this purpose.
    However, this method of projecting images onto a surface comes in handy for many other applications such as applying labels to product.  The label can actually be modeled as a part with the image projected onto it, then assembled to the product as part of an assembly. It is then able to be included in the B.O.M.
  • Dario_MangoniDario_Mangoni Member Posts: 3
    nav said:
    If you read the improvement request you`ll see that is requested that the detail of the cosmetic thread can be called out in the drawing module.
    Sorry, can you expand on this?
    Is it possible, from Part Studio, to flag a cylindrical surface as threaded so that this will be later reflected in the Drawing?
    I cannot see how.
    If you are saying that this is something that can be done in the Drawing only, then it is something to be fixed (and no, this ticket does not fix the issue).
    Do you agree with me?

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Is it possible, from Part Studio, to flag a cylindrical surface as threaded so that this will be later reflected in the Drawing?
    I believe as it stands this is the situation:-

Internal threads, yes, using the "hole feature". 
    External threads, no, not yet.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I'm having trouble understanding the status of this situation.  Does there exist a means to model external or internal threaded features?  (I didn't want to start a new thread, as this one already seems on point.)
  • Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    @mark_proulx as it stands,
    Internal threads can be modelled (by yourself or using a Feature script) or a cosmetic using the hole feature
    External threads can only be modelled (by yourself or using a Feature script).