Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - October 11th, 2024

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 37
edited October 11 in New in Onshape
Our 14th release of the year comes full of improvements in a lot of different areas. Let's jump right in.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

EXCLUDE HIDDEN PARTS ON EXPORT

You can now choose if hidden instances are included or excluded from an output file during export.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/f9zjdy345m

PART STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

PARTIAL FILLET END CONDITIONS

Two new end conditions have been added to the fillet feature, allowing you to parametrically define partial length fillets. The Entity End type allows you to select a reference at which to terminate the fillet. The Offset End type allows you to define a distance from the end of the fillet edge at which to terminate the fillet.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5cjvkh8tyv

ELEVATE DEGREE OF BEZIER SKETCH CURVE

You can now elevate the degree of a Bezier sketch entity. Elevating the degree maintains the identical sketch geometry, while adding additional control points.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/xhcohmb5ul

ASSEMBLY IMPROVEMENTS

MASS PROPERTY CALCULATION WITH ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM BOM

An icon and warning have been added to indicate if a total calculated mass of an assembly does not include any part or assembly instances that are excluded from the Bill of materials. This is true for computed values in the Bill of material's table, and the assembly properties dialog.
A calculated assembly mass viewed from the Mass and section properties dialog always includes all instances, regardless of their status in the BOM.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/87uuflpk2g

UNFIX PARTS FROM TOP-LEVEL INSTANCES

Right-click on any assembly or subassembly and select the new Unfix all command to unfix all fixed instances within the selected subassemblies, folders, parametric Part Studios, patterns, and replicates. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/z1ij1yewkk

DRAWINGS IMPROVEMENTS

DETAIL VIEW STYLES

New Detail view styles have been added. The default Detail view style can be set from the Drawing properties panel.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/xyo9ux1jod

PROJECTED BREAK VIEWS SYNC WITH PARENT

If a Parent view contains a break, any Projected views created from that view inherits the break.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hsqg3m5yj7

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

NOTIFICATION OF GLOBAL PERMISSIONS CHANGE

When a change is made to your company's Global permissions, all Administrators are notified of the change by email.

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

DELETE MULTIPLE INSTANCES

You can now multi-select and delete multiple instances at once in a Render Studio via the Scene list context menu. Note that you cannot delete faces or parts underneath a Part Studio/Assembly.

MERGE CHANGES

You can now Merge changes in a Render Studio. This allows you to leverage Onshape's powerful parallel design workflows through design branches, even when working on a rendering of your product.

SELECT MULTIPLE APPEARANCES

Selecting multiple appearances at once, you can now navigate between your selections from the Appearance panel. Each appearance will independently cross-highlight the geometry it is applied to.

INDICATION OF MANUAL TESSELLATION OVERRIDE

Any instances using a tessellation setting other than "Auto" displays a diamond icon in the Instance list. Hovering over the icon provides a tooltip showing the selected tessellation level.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

CERTIFICATION IMPROVEMENTS

The Certified Onshape Associate and Professional exams have been moved to a new platform that is embedded directly in the Learning Center. We hope this provides a more streamlined experience.

The Associate exam has been completely overhauled, including new modeling challenges and multiple choice questions.

INTRODUCTION TO THE ONSHAPE API COURSE

We are excited to release a new Introduction to the Onshape API course in the Learning Center. Learn the fundamentals of the Onshape API using the Onshape Glassworks API Explorer, which allows you to make API calls with zero code.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Comments

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 860 PRO

Render studio looks like it is starting to pick up development momentum now. Very glad to be able to have a detail view linked with a leader.

• romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 675 PRO

The Hiding parts from export is interesting.

The old default behaviour was to exclude hidden parts on export. This causes some problems because it could be tied to the hide/show state when an assembly was versioned or released. I ran into this when I Released an Assembly with a part hidden. The hidden part was released just fine, but was thereafter NOT able to be exported - even if it was visible in the released assembly!

This new button seems to indicate that the default has changed (meaning - by default it will export everything in the assembly, regardless of visibility state), and you can select the button to force the old default behaviour.

Nice to see the control either way!

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

I like the unfix option, it will help me go back and clean up some old models. Also the drawing improvements will be handy.

• Lewis_MainaLewis_Maina Member Posts: 12

Theses new features are compelling, unfixing all parts in high-level assembly is great time saver.

• antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 17 PRO

Appreciate the work that went into making an improvement to the mass property management of assemblies in this update.

Curious if the feature request that I had submitted in 2020 is still on anyone's radar. Long story short: when there are multiple instances of the same part within an assembly their masses may all be the same, but their locations in space are different. Allowing for a BOM view that allows these per-instance unique attributes to be seen will help the mass property management workflow for large teams working in big assemblies - like aerospace vehicles.

• ken_xuken_xu Member Posts: 7 PRO

“EXCLUDE HIDDEN PARTS ON EXPORT” been expecting this for a long time, great to see it.

• robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 40 PRO

Thanks for this Update, good work Onshape.

In the changelog

"Fixed display of attempted failed geometry with when using sheet metal extrude on a closed profile"

This is a huge fix for me! Wonder if other sheet metal workers notice 😁

• Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 91 PRO

Detail View Style! Yet another checkmark off my bucket list! Now my drawings can look more like my colleagues.

Weirdly I never use splines for work but the bezier controll point adjuster still excites me.

And very VERY excited to see the API course is finally here!

• Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 39 PRO

BREAK VIEWS SYNC 

Finally !! Missed it for some time, long time … Thank you :) Very good!

• JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 23 PRO

@S1mon +1 on the "Decrease and try to maintain the shape" improvement. Unless you go to the Degree 1, there's no excuse to create a straight line.

I already created a ticket to Detail view profile line. It's really nice to hide it completely, unfortunately you still need keep the one, which intersects 3D geometry to better understand what you're looking at. I would most likely create such line in phantom style, with option to use dashed or solid line. It's also important this line is thinner than 3D geometry so you can easily distinguish between detail boundary and 3D geometry.

Definitely need to got through API course, that sounds really interesting, thank you for that.

Partial Fillet with new options looks very promising, I need to test that but I believe it will be a great improvement for various design tasks.

Unfortunately, help URL in Enterprise is still general Help site for Structure view. Please check.

• Fixed a specific help URL for Product structure view to link to proper documentation page

• ole_bachmayerole_bachmayer Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

This actually sounds like a great opportunity!, maybe you can manage to add the dergree-Handler (optional) to lines, so you can change a line to a spline and vice versa

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,847 PRO

Very good points. I've added this to the improvement request thread. Other CAD tools definitely enable switching a line to spline and vice versa. Under the hood, lines are just degree one splines. Currently if you try to delete the middle control point from a degree two spline, you get this mathematically incorrect error message:

• Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 124 PRO

I am very happy to see PRtOJECTED BREAK VIEWS SYNC WITH PARENT.