Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to showcase Onshape in 5 minutes?

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited November 2014 in Using Onshape
I'm meeting up with some people at a design agency this Friday. One of whom I already invited to Onshape.
I'll be attending a brief course on surfacing there, but I've been granted the opportunity to present/pitch Onshape.

If you only had 5 minutes, what would you do to make Onshape look awesome?
Awesome enough to get people to sign up for testing.

P.S. Attendees that day are mostly Creo, SolidWorks and Inventor users...

Dries

Best Answer

Answers

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited November 2014
    DEMO done.
    Definitely impressed a few people!

Jaw droppers:
    move face and draft behavior, branching, multi-user editing, build history (clock icon), translation capabilities and last but not least... clearness of the interface.

points of 'concern':
    master modeling approaches, managing complex part designs, complex surfacing.

Dries
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    @DriesV Can you elaborate on the jaw dropping aspect of the "move face and draft behavior"? What exactly impressed the audience?
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    @DriesV Can you elaborate on the jaw dropping aspect of the "move face and draft behavior"? What exactly impressed the audience?
    I was referring to faces with fillets already applied (e.g. imported geometry).
    When moving faces or applying draft to those faces, Onshape is smart enough to reattach fillets. Coming from SolidWorks, this is very nice.  :)

Dries
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Oh ya, the "reapply fillet" is really awesome!
  • Jim_AndersJim_Anders Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Being able to reposition parts in a placed assembly!!  Such a cool and useful feature that is only obvious after you work with it.  Was very frustrating when I would try to move an assy only to have one part move.  Totally unexpected.  But in reality this is SO useful.  I have always had to come up with silly workarounds to reposition components of an assy that might not always be in the same physical location from product to another.  Kudos to whomever thought this up.