Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Order BOM

matt_hardmanmatt_hardman Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
What I want is to be able to click a button in order to place an order for all the items on my Bill Of Materials! There's obviously a long way to go before that can actually happen.
1. Have a supplier content database with great models that can just be dropped into place
2. Track changes made to models after they've been inserted (what if I need to modify a standard part)
3. Have a really intuitive BOM, where you have the option to add spares, etc.
4. For custom parts, obviously it's harder. But you could have a system where suppliers will quote on the parts that you've designed. Or leave it as "Order standard parts"
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I like your line of thinking.

You could drag a part in from McMaster and it's automatically added to the BOM. Might even get the instance count right and tell you how many you need.

Gotta love the cloud, it's going change everything.

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I think Onshape could be the editing tool and publishing tool all in one location in the cloud. There would be no need for a separate 3D Content Central, or 3D Part Stream, or McMaster Carr Library. If Onshape could attract large component manufacturers to locate their 3D models into the Onshape database, then they could easily be shared to anyone looking to use the model in their product. It would then be nice to be able to subscribe to activity on a model, such that when the Manufacturer makes a change to their product - you would be notified automatically because you are using that same model (no a reproduced one) in your design. We could all potentially be designing in the same databased system and just sharing our models in ways we want to - and not reproducing them many times over in many different systems... that's efficient.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Another thought about Onshape being a publishing system for models is that you could allow folks who publish their models publicly to be able to do a global where used within the whole Onshape database and see where their models are being used. Talk about great analytics... good insight to see exactly where your product is getting integrated into...
  • Options
    jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Great discussion -- thanks. Integrating with content sources and buying sites is a great area for our future.