Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Helix feedback

kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
Just been having a play with the helix tool and have a few observations about this and others from modelling a very simple little plastic bottle closure part:

1. I don't like that the helix start location cannot be controlled - places the start of the helix at the extent of the cylindrical face whereas I generally need it to start on a specific plane. Couldn't get this to work at all. Contrast to SolidWorks where the helix is driven from the sketch. Take a look in my public files to see Helix test and compare to the SolidWorks file I sent Scott a while back.

2. Co-linear constraint - use co-incident instead? Sorry I find this really counter intuitive. Makes no sense at all.

3. Dimensioning of sketches is still poor. The text goes off everywhere, and requires multiple clicks to activate and edit.

4. Circular patterning only handles bodies not features? Surely not?

5. No wireframe view mode? I like the new shaded options but sometimes a simple wireframe view is the base/clearest option for edge picking. Needs wireframe.

6. Feature tree display. Guys I hate to be the one to say this but this is not working at all. Even in that little part with a few features it becomes unworkable and clunky. I'm all for simplicity but I have really hoped that Onshape would have come up with something new on this. The list of everything is nigh on impossible to efficiently navigate and control. Maybe it needs a separate pane or an overlay mode as used by Autodesk now, and others (as pioneered by Think 3 donkeys years ago).

We are still a long long way off being a productive tool for most.

Comments

• Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Great points, Kevin.
    I second many.

1. I agree that defining helix by cylindrical/conical faces is backwards. I would also prefer a purely parametric approach. E.g.: Pick base position (3D point) and start angle > pick orientation (axis) > optionally set taper angle > set all other parameters > DONE.

3. Editing dimensions of sketches from the feature tree or model is still cumbersome. I want to edit dimensions of features in a graphical way too. Something like SolidWorks does now.

4. Patterning of features (Part Studio) and parts (Assembly) is very high on my wish list.

6. I agree the feature tree display needs to be revamped dramatically. At least it needs icons. And better display of dependencies. And clear display of which features are related to which parts. And... It needs to become a lot more intuitive.
    This should definitely be addressed before release.

Dries
  • Options
    julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    Agreed re: #6 as well.
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO

5. No wireframe view mode? I like the new shaded options but sometimes a simple wireframe view is the base/clearest option for edge picking. Needs wireframe.

This is there if you haven't found it yet. Click on the wireframe box icon on the right side of the window (underneath the view manipulation tool).
  • Options
    @traveler‌ thanks for that, I missed that. Ill need to check this tomorrow as Im on ipad right now
  • Options
    @traveler‌ I see the wireframe option now - I had not realised it was actually wireframe in that it has visible edges in black and hidden edges in grey. Whilst this is nice, I would prefer the option to have all edges as black.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited December 2014
    @KevinQuigley Wireframe was replaced with translucent.  I mentioned that back in a what's new here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/211/improvements-to-onshape-november-20-2014#latest  (number 4)
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Yes missed it Lou... was too busy checking out helix