Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Working offline?

Hello,
I'm new here and also a CAD newbie.  I just discovered the Onshape app and had high hopes of it being something I could use to try (again...for about the 100th time!) to learn to design parts...on an airplane.  I travel a lot (with an iPad only) and was hoping to make that downtime productive.  I've searched briefly here and it appears that this is not possible and an internet connection is always required.  Is my assumption correct?  Are there any plans for the future to make it possible to work offline and sync when a connection is available?
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Scot 

Answers

• matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    At the moment, there is no way to work off line.  From my understanding, most of the calculations are being done on OnShape's servers, as well as all of the data storage.  Both of those factors would make it extremely unlikely to ever see an offline version of OnShape.
  • scot_yamamotoscot_yamamoto Member Posts: 4
    That's too bad, but I can understand. It's a shame for me, though, as it seems like an easy to use and incredibly cool app on the iPad. 

I hate to ask here but is there any app for the iPad that can work offline?
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @scot_yamamoto , At the moment, there is no way to work offline. I can see that offline access would be handy in some cases but it just seems to go against the way Onshape works. I cant imagine it happening any time soon, if ever. 
    Kindly refer below discussion thread ,
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1281/working-offline-with-local-workspace-and-cache/p1

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'm afraid the cloud calculation is what makes it possible to use Ipad for mcad in first place. If there was solid works app it would require pretty powerfull tablet.. 
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    I'm afraid the cloud calculation is what makes it possible to use Ipad for mcad in first place. If there was solid works app it would require pretty powerfull tablet.. 
    Indeed, and also a dedicated graphics card, one with quite particular capabilities.