Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Time spent in OnShape

CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
Is there anyway I can get a calculation of the amount of time I've spent using OnShape? For my startup, I need to estimate development hours where I've previously done no time tracking at all.

Answers

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 358
    This isn't something we generally provide today, but are looking to make available from within Onshape at some point in the future.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    marcin_kowalskimarcin_kowalski Member Posts: 1
    I think this would be a great feature. Is there any progress regarding this feature?
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather not know...  :*
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Check out the App store, specifically the Timecards app:

https://appstore.onshape.com/?sort=type

I haven't tried it out but it appears to be a free integrated app.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    El Capitan - there is a free app in the app store that might work for you! :)

https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/Utilities/2P7FIVPQDHTJURHNPIEFWJNJBXUTZ2AWROPC3HY=/description

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2016
    CaptainBisquick-

I wrote timecards to track time spent on projects for various customers. It also handles invoicing and billing. It does work because I've been using it for many years.

It's a simple web app, database, ajax, spa and some basic logic. By design I set no timers to track actual time in OS. Since 40% of engineering is actual CAD work, I prefer to do timecards manually. I'm not sure setting a timer and logging time spent is what you really want. Seems like if my app tracked time, it would be like a prison guard outside your jail cell. Give me an overview of what you did this morning / this afternoon. At the end of the week, month & year I can compile a report; I think this is good enough and will keep your business running smoothly.

In the beginning, after getting the timecard app wired up, I began tracking my time developing timecards for OS. I should publish this as an example on how to use timecards. I need to do this.

As a web junkie, I'm currently working on Meteor and refactoring timecards to run on their servers. At the same time I'm not sure I've captured a good use case for the average engineer filling out timecards. It works for me, not sure if it'll work for you. I want to try and come up with something people will use. Something more along the lines of project management.

I've worked at places that are well managed and everyone was on the same page, these places are fun to work at and I'm hoping to create a tool that'll help here.

• Options
    ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 94 PRO
    Is there any follow up on this request? Could be very beneficial for billing clients and pay hourly employees
  • Options
    Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    I guess that this was introduced with the enterprise version. My understanding is that you can track user time with that licence. However, I am not sure if this has been introduced into the standard or professional versions.
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 358
    Correct, the analytics are available in our enterprise version.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 94 PRO
    I need it for the Professional version...  :(
  • Options
    Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    I agree, I can see that it would benefit a professional user to see how much time has been spent on a document. Specifically freelancing and able to see time charged against time spent.

I know I have been developing a product and have just started using Toggl to track my time, but I spent many hours before finding this.